I was inspired by this Bear Paw quilt made by my great-grandmother to make my own version of this very special quilt. You can even see by the worn spots how much this quilt is loved. I didn’t know my great-grandmother very well, but I know she was a very special lady by the way my mom talks about her and the fact that she taught my mom how to quilt when she was young. I love this quilt! I am thankful to be able to share this tutorial with all of you, so you too could make a very special heirloom piece for you and your family. Enjoy!
Fabric featured in tutorial is Glace by 3 Sisters
2 Charm Packs
1 Basic Jelly Roll in Snow #9900JR-11
1 yard Bella Solid in Snow #9900-11
5 yards coordinating fabric for backing and binding
Luna Batting by Moda
Cutting the Pieces…
1. Select 12 Charm Squares and 12 Turnover slices from 4 different color ways. You will need a total of 48 Charm Squares and 48 Turnover slices.
2. You will need to trim your 48 charm squares down to 4 1/2″ square.
3. From the Turnover slice, cut the triangle down the center creating 2 triangles.
Repeat these steps for all 12 of your triangles selected.
All seam allowances are 1/4″
9. Lay out your triangles and squares as shown below to create a bear paw. I used all the same print for each individual bear paw.
18. From your left over charm squares and/or turnover slices, cut a total of 12 – 2 1/2″ squares. 3 squares for each of the 4 color ways.
On a charm square, simply slice in half in both directions.
19. Lay out 4 bear paws of the same color way, 4 – 6 1/2″ sashing strips, and 1 – 2 1/2″ middle square that coordinates with your bear paws as shown below.
22. Lay out your bear paw cluster block and 4 – 2 1/2″ squares and 4 – 14 1/2″ squares as shown below.
Assembling the Quilt…
26. Lay out all your blocks as you see fit.
27. Sew the blocks together in rows.
28. Sew the rows together to complete your quilt top.
29. Quilt, bind, ENJOY!
Quilt top measures 54″ x 72″