Isn’t it amazing how quickly a car can get unorganized and messy? And add some kids into the mix… yikes!
This tutorial is for a multifunctional Car Diddy bag. Use it as a litter bag (the interior is laminated for easy cleaning) or as a toy/activity bag.
8 layer cake squares (Martinique)
3/8 yd Moda laminated cotton (Martinique)
Two (1″) D-rings
1. Cut 5 layer cake squares according to the following diagram. You will now have (20) 5″ squares!
2. Cut 3 layer cake squares according to the the following diagram. You will now have (27) 3″ squares!
3. Layer a 3″ square on top of a 5″ square and stitch in place. Repeat for a total of 18 sets.
You will have two leftover 5″ squares and nine leftover 3″ squares. Set these aside.
4. Slice each square on the diagonals.
5. When you peel back the corner, you’ll see a dog tail underneath.
Snip the dog tails off to keep the block from getting too bulky.
6. Mix and match triangles.
7. Sew triangles together to create 18 new squares.
8. Lay out nine squares like the picture below.
Sew the squares from each row together.
Then sew the rows together. Repeat this step to create another exterior panel.
9. Layer the two exterior panels from Step 8 right sides together. Stitch down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side. Please be sure to leave the top open! Turn right side out and press.
10. Take twelve of the 3″ leftover squares from Step 3 and stitch right side together to create a long strip. Take two more 3″ leftover squares and stitch right side together to create a short strip.
11. Fold each strip right side together and stitch along each long side. Turn right side out and press.
12. Edge stitch the long ends of each strip.
13. Slide two D-rights onto the middle of the short strip. Stitch a line to keep D-rings secure.
14. Measure 1.5″ in from each top corner of the exterior. Baste strips in place, sewing through only one layer of the exterior.
15. Now grab your laminated cotton. Isn’t it fabulous? You’re going to love sewing with it. Okay, back to business… Cut two 11″ x 11″ squares from the laminated fabric.
Layer right sides together and stitch both sides, leaving the top and bottom open. Leave the lining wrong side out and place the exterior inside the lining, with right sides together.
Pin the top edges together and stitch all the way around.
16. Pull the exterior through the opening in the bottom of the lining. Hand or machine stitch the opening in the bottom of the lining.
17. Tuck the lining into the exterior and top stitch all the way around.
That’s it! You’re done. Loop your sassy new litter or toy bag around the front headrest and secure with the D-rings.
A cute and functional way to minimize mess!