So go grab up your sampler box and choose a little charmer pack or any assortment of 2 1/2″ squares that you have laying around and let’s get started . . .
- 40, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch Garden Party Bake Shop Sampler squares
- 5/8 yard Bella Solid in Natural for background fabric
- 1/2 yard of backing fabric
- 1/4 yard of binding fabric
- small amounts of lightweight fusible web
- thread to match applique
- 16 x 39 inch quilt batting
- 6 medium/large buttons
- 6 mini buttons
From the background fabric cut the following:
Cut 1, 2 1/2 x 42 inch strip
- Sub-cut into 9, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch squares – set three of these aside for block centers
- Using the 6 remaining 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch squares, cut once diagonally across the blocks to create 12 corner triangles.
Cut 1, 4 1/8 x 42 inch strip
- Sub-cut into: 6, 4 1/8 x 4 1/8 inch squares
- Cut twice on the diagonal to create 24 side triangles
Now it’s time to break open that little charm pack and choose 4, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch squares for the appliqued flowers – set aside.
Using the remaining 36 squares and all of your cut background pieces – lay out 3 blocks as shown above.
From the background fabric:
- Cut 1, 14 x 42 inch strip
- Sub-cut into 1, 14 x 14 inch square and cut twice on the diagonal to create 4 side triangles
From the remaining 14 x 28 inch strip, cut a 7 1/4 inch strip and then sub-cut it into 2, 7 1/4 x 7 1/4 inch squares and cut once on the diagonal to create the four corner triangles.
Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, stitch the diagonal rows together and then add the corner triangles.
Straighten the sides of your table runner as shown above ensuring that you retain your 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Cut 4 pieces of fusible web 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.
Position the fusible web squares (paper side up) over the Template and trace. (Please note: once you open the document do not click on the “print” button – the pattern will be HUGE. Click on the “download” button and make sure that “pdf” is selected – click download and then open. The view may be set at 247% . . . just change that to 100% or even click print and it should be fine. The little pattern template should measure 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches – the exact same size as your mini charms.)
Position the fusible squares onto the backs of the four squares you previously set aside and fuse in place.
Cut out each shape on the drawn lines.
Measure 3 inches out from the point where two blocks intersect and fuse a circle print.
Thread your machine with a thread in a shade slightly darker than the fabric you are stitching. Match your bobbin thread with your background fabric.
Set your machine to a small blanket stitch and stitch around the circles.
Position the petals on top of the stitched circles ensuring that the petals are close enough together in the center so that they will be covered by the large button you have chosen. Fuse in place and blanket stitch around each petal.
Fold strip in half lengthwise and press.
One super cute 13 x 37 1/2 inch table runner.