Hi all you Moda Bake Shop fans!!! This is KarrieLyne from Freckled Whimsy back with another goodie for you!!
Do you need a quick quilt for a gift? Getting chilly at this time of year and need a fast lap warmer? Need an idea for a charity quilt or want to make a quilt for Quilts for Kids or the like? This pattern is definitely one that can be put together in a weekend, or even less, if you are ambitious!
I love all the fun bright colors in Sandy Gervais’ new line, Lollipop which is why I chose it for this quilt! If you love it as much as I do…head on over to Burgundy Buttons where Leah has a kit at a discounted price waiting just for you!! Hurry though, she only has a limited supply!!
1 Lollipop Layer Cake
1/2 yard for first border (7521-444)
1 yard for second border (17555-13)
1/2 yard for binding (17557-24)
4 yards for backing (17551-13)
— 1/4″ seams used throughout
— LC is an abbreviation for Layer Cake
1. Pull out all 7 of the solid LC pieces.
2. Cut them into 5 x 5 squares
**NOTE** If you don’t have enough solids or don’t want to use the solids, you can use the 5” piece you cut out in a future step and mix and match them in your LC pieces too. 🙂
3. Choose 25 LC pieces that the solids will contrast with.
4. Pair up a 5” solid square with a LC piece –I put mine in a pile as I matched them up until I had what I liked.
5. Now we cut the layer cakes apart.
6. Start by cutting 1 1/4” from the left side of the LC.
7. From the edge you just cut, cut over another 5”.
8. Turn the center piece sideways and trim at 2”
9. From the edge you just cut, cut over another 5”. Now rotate the pieces back in their respective spots.
10. Replace the center 5” piece with your solid.
**NOTE** To make sewing go faster, I cut up each layer cake and placed them with their solid and stacked them up on a 12.5” square ruler for easy transport. Keeping each piece in its respective position. This way you can chain piece each block when it’s time to sew. 🙂
11. Sew your center row together. Press.
12. Then sew on the sides. Press.
13. Repeat for all 25 layer cake pieces.
14. Trim off the overhanging edges and square up to 9” if necessary.
15. Lay out your blocks, 5 across and 5 down, in a pleasing order, making sure to rotate your blocks for a wonky effect.
16. Then sew the blocks into rows, and then sew the rows together. Press.
17. For the first border, cut (5) 2” strips from your first border fabric. The top and bottom border will be just one strip each. When you do the sides, you will have to piece the strips.
18. Cut (6 ) 4 1/2” strips from your second border fabric. You will have to piece each side for this border.
19. Press once more, then sandwich with the batting and the backing, quilt, bind, then throw it in the wash and dry. 🙂
This quilt will measure about 50″ x 50″ after washing. Isn’t it cute? 😀
If you want to make the quilt larger, just add more layer cake pieces and follow the same steps!
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial! If you make this quilt, please oh please share it with me? You can email a photo of it to me HERE or you can add it to my Flickr Group HERE. I would love to feature them on my blog! 🙂
Much Love and Happy Quilting!!