- 3 Charm Packs Honeysweet ~hst’s
- 2 yds Honeysweet Solid Ivory 20199-31 ~hst’s
- 1 yd Honeysweet Amber Drops Raspberry 20217-12 ~borders and binding
- 3.25 yds Honeysweet Poppy Blooms Ivory 20215-11 ~backing
- use 1/4” seam allowance throughout
- use your favorite method for pressing the pinwheels…to eliminate the bulk I press my all the pinwheel seams open, using a shortened stitch length
- press border seams towards the narrow border pieces
- wof = width of fabric
- hst’s = half square triangles
- From the Ivory
- cut 12 – 5″ strips wof
- subcut into 96 – 5″ squares
- From the Amber Drops Raspberry
- cut 6 strips 1-1/2″ strips wof for borders
- cut 6 strips 2-1/2″ strips wof for binding
- Choose one charm square that contrasts with the inner border
- cut 4 squares 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2″ for the corner stones in the inner border
- choose 96 Honeysweet charms and draw a diagonal line on each
- pair each of the 96 Honeysweet 5″ charms with a 5″ ivory square, right sides together and stitch a scant 1/4″ on both sides of diagonal line.
- cut on the diagonal line
- set the seams, press seams open
- to make the 6 large center blocks, you will need 96 hst’s. You can choose to make your center blocks scrappy or choose a color way for each of the 6 blocks. I made the 6 center blocks each a different colorway. Choose 16 hst’s of each color way for the 6 center blocks…set aside the other 96 hst’s for the outer border.
- lay out your hst’s as shown below. It will look like a 16 patch block.
- sew together in rows of 4
- now sew your 4 rows together and you have one center block that measures 16 1/2″ x 16 1/2″
- make 5 more 16 patch center blocks
- sew 2 of the center blocks together side by side
- repeat 2 more times
- sew the top, center and bottom rows together…set aside this large center section of the quilt…you will need it again when you add the inner border. It should measure approximately 32-1/2″ x 48-1/2″.
- take 4 of the pinwheel blocks and sew them together. This will be part of the top outer border. Repeat for the bottom outer border
- take 6 of the pinwheel blocks and sew them together for the side outer border. Repeat for the other side outer border.
- measure the sides of the center piece…they should be the same length
- measure the top and bottom of the large center piece…they should be the same width
- you will use these measurements to cut your inner border pieces
- take 3 of the 1-1/2″ x wof strips, join them using a 45 degree angle (like you would piece your binding strips). Cut 2 pieces that measure the length of the sides of your center piece
- with the remaining 1-1/2″ strips cut 2 pieces that measure the width of the top and bottom of your center piece
- cut 8 pieces measuring 1-1/2″ by 8-1/2″
- sew your blocks together to make the 5 rows, press seams towards the narrow border
- press the corner stone seams in row 2 and 4 towards the narrow border
- sew rows 1 and 2 together
- sew rows 4 and 5 together
- sew the 3 rows together to complete your quilt top
- press your seams towards the narrow border pieces
- quilt and bind
I hope you enjoy this Honeysweet Pinwheel quilt.
A lap size quilt approximately 52″ x 68″
Have a wonderful day!!