Hi, I’m Kathy Mack from Pink Chalk Studio. I’m very excited to share with you this quick and easy baby quilt. A simple project you can complete the day before the baby shower! All you need is one Charm Pack and 1 1/2 yards of background fabric.
- 1 Charm Pack – Sweetwater Reunion Charm Pack
- 1.5 yards Background Fabric – Moda Cross Weave Green Orange
- 5.5 yards Binding – Moda Bella Bias Quilter’s Binding Christmas Red
- Backing and Batting for a 41″ x 49″ quilt top
2. Layout charm squares into 4 sets containing 7 squares each and 1 set containing 8 squares. Arrange prints for a pleasing balance of color and scale.
3. Piece together charm square sets to create 5 vertical rows. Select your 3 favorite 7 square rows for the quilt center.
4. Place charm square rows on work table. Place 4″ sashing strips between the vertical charm square rows and on either side.
5. Sew a sashing strip to the left side of each vertical charm square row. Trim ends of sashing to match length of charm square rows. Sew rows together.
6. Sew 2.75″ sashing strip to top of quilt center. Trim ends of sashing to match width of quilt center. Press seams open. Repeat on bottom for remaining 2.75″ sashing strip.
7. Fold the remaining 2 charm square rows so they fit on your cutting mat. Cut in half lengthwise to create 2 strips that measure 2.5″ x 32″ (the 7 charm square row) and 2 strips that measure 2.5″ x 36.5″ (the 8 charm square row).
8. Sew a 2.5″ x 36.5″ strip to the left side of quilt center. Press seams open. FLIP the remaining strip so fabrics run in the opposite direction. Sew remaining strip to the right side of the quilt center.
9. Layer quilt top, batting and backing. I used a simple, no-mark approach for my quilting. Working from center of quilt out, use a walking foot to stitch a wavy line using the edges of the vertical column charm squares as a guide. Stitch down the center of the 2.5″ strips and finally, stitch down the middle of the borders.