My name is Erica and I blog over at Kitchen Table Quilting and I am so excited to share this quilt with you. Road 15 is such an inspiring collection and this was such a fun and quick quilt to put together. I hope you enjoy the tutorial!
2 Road 15 jelly rolls
2/3 yard Road 15 print for binding
2.5 yards Moda Bella in Gray
5 yards Road 15 print for the backing fabric
4. Piece the pairs together along the long sides so that thee colors alternate; here I have blue – black – blue- black. This should create one piece that is 8.5″ by roughly 22″. There is a little leeway in the second measurement so if yours is a little shorter that is okay.
5. Trim one edge. Line up your ruler with the lines on your fabric to make sure that you are cutting perpendicular to the pieces that you have just sewn.
6. Start cutting 2.5″ strips from the trimmed edge. This is where you will be glad that you pieced accurately in the previous steps. If you didn’t sew them perfectly straight, you might need to occasionally re-square the edge of the fabric. I know that I did.
7. You should now have 8 pieces that are 2.5″x8.5″.
8. Flip over every other strip.
10. And then pairs again so that you create 2 blocks that are 8.5″ square.
11, Cut your sashing fabric into 12 strips that are 2.5″xWOF.
12. Subcut these strips into pieces that are 2.5″x8.5″. You should be able to get five 8.5″ pieces from each WOF strip.
13. Sew a one 8.5″x2.5″ strip between each set of blocks and continue joining the blocks until you have diagonal columns. There should be a single block in the top left corner, then 3 blocks, 5 blocks, 7 blocks, 9 blocks, 11 blocks, 11 blocks, 9 blocks, 7 blocks, 5 blocks, 3 blocks, until you get back to just 1 block in the bottom right corner.
14. Cut twenty-three 2.5″xWOF pieces for the sashing that is going the opposite diagonal direction. Cut off the selvage if you haven’t already and sew these strips together along the short side so that you have strips measuring:
- 2 strips 20″ long
- 2 strips 35″ long
- 2 strips 55″ long
- 2 strips 75″ long
- 2 strips 95″ long
- 1 strip 115″ long
15. Since we are going to trim the blocks along the outer edge, these strips don’t need to reach from edge to edge on the quilt. Just try your best to center them over each diagonal row and piece together. The measurements give you more than 5″ extra so you have a little wiggle room.
16. Once you have added the sashing, piece together the diagonal rows.
17. Trim the edges to make the quilt square.
18. Baste, quilt, and bind as desired.