Hello everyone! My name is Jessica and I blog at SewCraftyJess. I am so excited to share my very first Moda Bake Shop tutorial with you today. It seems I am often needing to make baby quilts for different friends and families new additions, so I am always on the lookout for adorable kiddo fabrics. When I came across Bungle Jungle by Tim and Beck, I just had to put together a baby quilt showcasing all of the adorable prints in such fun colors, and I’m excited to share it with you today!
One Charm Pack: Tim & Beck Bungle Jungle
One Jelly Roll: Tim & Beck Bungle Jungle
1 1/2 Yard Bella Solid in White
1. From white solid:
Cut (22) 1.5″ x WOF strips
- Subcut (4) 1.5″ strips into (32) 4″ x 1.5″ pieces
- Subcut (6) 1.5″ strips into (32) 6″ x 1.5″ pieces
- Subcut (2) 1.5″ strips into (16) 5″ x 1.5″ pieces
- Subcut (3) 1.5″ strips into (12) 10″ x 1.5″ pieces
- Subcut (5) 1.5″ strips into (5) 41 1/2″ x 1.5″ pieces
- Subcut (2) 1.5″ strips into (2) 43 1/2″ x 1.5″ pieces
Cut (3) 3.5″ x WOF strips for quilt back
2. Choose 16 charms to be the centers of each block and trim to 4″ square
3. Pair each of your trimmed charms with 5″ charm and matching jelly roll strip (5″ charm and jelly roll strip should match)
4. From each jelly roll strip, cut (2) 10″ strips from the selvedge edges. We will be using the remaining ~20″ of jelly roll strip for the binding, set aside.
Quilt Top Assembly
Use 1/4″ seam throughout and press all seams open
1. Sew (2) 4″ white strips onto opposite sides of your 4″ center square
2. Sew (2) 6″ white strips onto remaining 2 sides of center square
3. Sew (1) 5″ white strip onto one edge of the coordinating charm you selected
4. Cut your charm/white strip piece in half lengthwise, resulting in (2) strips measuring 6″ x 2.5″
5. Take your center square bordered in white and sew (2) matching 6″ x 2.5″ pieced strips from step 4 onto opposite sides, taking care to align the white portion of the strip to the left on one edge and to the right on the other.
6. Sew (2) matching 10″ jelly roll strips on to remaining sides of center square bordered in white. Your block should now measure 10″ square.
7. Repeat to sew 16 blocks. Arrange your layout taking care to alternate the direction of the white strips between vertical and horizontal.
8. Attach blocks by sewing (1) 10″ x 1.5″ white sashing strip between each block.
9. Attach rows by sewing (1) 41.5″ x 1.5″ white sashing strip between each row, and one sashing row on top of the top row, and one sashing row on bottom of the bottom row.
10. Attach last two rows of sashing to the left and right borders of the quilt top.
Quilt Back Assembly
1. Use the 24 remaining jelly roll strips and sew together along the long edge, to result in a strip pieced rectangle measuring appx 44″ x 48.5″
2. Trim the selvedges off your strip pieced square.
3. Cut one of your 3.5″ x WOF strips and cut in half width wise, resulting in (2) 3.5″ x 22″ strips. Sew each half onto each of your remaining two 3.5″ x WOF strips to give you enough length to add to the trimmed edges. Attach onto each 48.5″ edge. Your resulting quilt back should measure appx. 48.5″ square
To make binding, choose 10 leftover jelly roll strips from cutting the 10″ strips for your blocks. Sew together to form scrappy binding.
Baste, Quilt and Bind as desired.
One 43″ x 43″ reversible baby quilt, ready to be loved and snuggled!