I do think that Verna is my new best friend! After so much cold and snow here in Nebraska, everyone you talk to is ready for a much needed dose of spring.
Makes 1 Runner, 18″ x 36″
1 Verna Charm Pack
(Or if you collect jelly rolls – 1 jelly roll will make 4 runners – just add border and binding accordingly)
1/2 yard Clover Bella Solid for Inner Border and Binding
5/8 yard Verna Print for Backing
5. Your charm pack stack should now look like this:
6. Choose three of the 2 1/2″ squares to sew together side by side. Mix up the colors and patterns for each set. Make 10 sets of three squares. This unit should now measure 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
7. Choose two of the 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangles to sew together end to end. Mix up the colors and patterns for each set. Make 20 sets of two rectangles. This unit should now measure 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
8. Select two units made from the 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangles and one unit made from the 2 1/2″ squares. Arrange units as shown below.
10. The block should now measure 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″. Make a total of 10 blocks.
11. Arrange the blocks in 2 rows of five blocks each. Rotate every other block a quarter turn to alternate the position of the blocks and add interest to your design.
12. Sew blocks into rows, then join the rows together. Unit should measure 12 1/2″ x 30 1/2″.
Measure the length of the runner. Cut two border strips to this length. (Measurement should be 30 1/2″).
Sew border strips to sides of the runner.
Measure the width of the runner. Cut two border strips to this length. (Measurement should be 14 1/2″).
Sew border strips to the ends of the runner.
14. Choose 16 of the 2 1/2″ squares to form the side border. Sew squares side by side. Unit should measure 2 1/2″ x 32 1/2″. Make two units. Sew to sides of the runner.
Choose 9 of the 2 1/2″ squares to form the end border. Sew squares side by side. Unit should measure 2 1/2″ x 18 1/2″. Make two units. Sew to ends of the runner.
Layer runner top with batting and backing.
Quilt as desired. I quilted 1/4″ inside the center square of the block and 1/4″ around the inside edge of each block. I also quilted two straight lines 1/4″ away from the inner green border, and 5/8″ from the outside edge of the runner (to accomodate for the binding).
17. Enjoy the first signs of spring!