Hello! My name is Amanda Herring from The Quilted Fish. It is a pleasure to share with you my pattern for Kate Spain’s new line Verna. This is a super easy little quilt. The icing on top is that you can easily make two quilts by adding extra backing and binding fabric. I have twins, so I love things that make up in two’s!
Want to this quilt? Head over to my blog to enter to win!
Quilt Kits are available for purchase at the Fat Quarter Shop.
1 layer cake
1 honey bun
1 charm pack
2 ¾ yard for Backing
3/8 yard for Binding
½“ covered button kits, enough to make 6 buttons
Cut 16 layer cake squares in half vertically
Cut four honey bun strips to 38 ½”
Cut two honey bun strips into 5” strips for between charm squares
Cut three honey bun strips to 5” strips for ruffle
1. Lay out all of your cut layer cake pieces to determine a pleasing layout.
2. Lay a 38 ½” honey bun strip between the first and second rows, the third and fourth rows, the fifth and sixth rows and the seventh and eight rows.
3. Sew layer cake pieces together in vertical rows.
4. Sew the rows together vertically.
5. Layout 8 charm squares and the 5” strips (for between charm squares) to determine a pleasing layout for the top of the quilt. Repeat for the bottom of the quilt.
6. Sew the charm squares and 5” strips together following the determined layout.
7. Sew the charm square strips to the top and bottom of the quilt.
8. Quilt, but don’t bind!
9. Sew ten of the 5” strips for the ruffle together end to end. Repeat for the remaining ten strips. Press seams open. Sew 1/8” from each raw edge of the strip, being sure to keep seams open.
10. Sew a gathering stitch through the middle of the pieced strips. Gather to 40”. Pin in place on the quilt on the seam between the charm square strip and the center of the quilt (both top and bottom). Sew in place.
You will need a total of 6 flowers. Repeat the following steps for each flower.
12. Sew 1/8” from each raw edge of 3 honey bun strips. Cut strips into 4” pieces.
13. Fold (but don’t crease) the pieces in half and pin on the raw edges. Sew 1/8” from the raw edges, chain piecing 5 together. Do not cut apart.
14. Using a needle and thread, sew a running stitch just above the seam and running through all 5 pieces.
15. Gather together tightly and tie off with a square knot.
16. Make covered buttons according to package directions using charm squares.
17. Sew flowers in place on the quilt, following diagram. Sew covered button in place on top of flower center.
One 40″ x 46″ quilt…..However! You have everything you need to make another quilt top. Simply purchase extra backing and binding fabric!