• Moda Petit Four sku#PFBOX
• or an Aster Manor charm pack
• 1/2 yd. backing Aster Manor sku# 12019 12 Sommerset Pink
• 1/4 yd. binding Aster Manor sku# 3908 36 Wildflowers Crimson
• Clover small 1 1/4 inch yo-yo maker or template
• basic hand sewing supplies, needle, thread, thimble
•When I started this project I intended to use it on one of my side tables as a table topper…until I finished it. I layed it across my new desk chair before I set out to take the final pictures. I liked the way it looked sooo much that, that is where it will stay. It transformed into a ‘Chair Scarf’.
•To start this project select 49 squares from your Petit Four. A petit four has 2 fabric lines with 120 – 2.5 inch squares of each line. I chose Aster Manor and separated my squares by color first. If you are using charm packs, cut your chosen fabrics into 2.5 inch squares and follow directions as listed.
20 light creams
•Carefully arrange your squares to form the pattern shown above 7 X 7.
•I flipped row 2 onto row 1 and pinned them.
•Leave the rest of your rows on the cutting mat.
•Sew Row 1 and Row 2 together.
•Do not cut the thread in between the squares.
•Iron them open.
•Lay rows 1/2 on the cutting mat checking the placement of your pattern.
•Flip Row 3 onto Row 1/2 and pin.
•Sew Row 3 to Row 1/2.
•Again, do not cut threads
•Iron open and continue to add rows in the same manner for the entire top.
•It will look like this. All squares are sewn into rows.
•Now take Row 1A and flip it onto Row 2A and pin.
•Notice I still haven’t clipped threads.
•Continue sewing the rows together.
•Here is row 1A sewn to new row 2A
•Make sure you pay close attention to the direction of the seams to ensure they are nested from row to row to reduce bulk.
• Layer the batting, backing and center top and machine quilt. I chose a meander with a flower and free motion quilted my project. If you are new to quilting, try a straight stitch in the ditch, or diagonal lines through each square.
•Add single fold binding…
•And finish binding the center.
•Make 56 Yo-Yo’s using either the Clover green yo-yo maker or the template provided. The yo-yo’s should finish to 1 1/4 inches.
I hope you picked up one tip from my tutorial and that you will be inspired to make a table topper for your table or chair scarf for your sewing room or desk. In fact I can see this project made with many other Moda fabric lines! The possibilities are endless..in fact maybe I should make one for every season!!
Thanks, Vickie E
35 browns17 reds4 yellows
• Here are the yo-yo’s laid out for placement.
•Begin by stitching yo-yo to yo-yo with a whip stitch, forming rows.
•For best results I stitched 15 yo-yo’s together, then,13, 13 and 15.
•Once the rows are stitched, pin the yo-yo strip right sides together to the quilted center as shown.
•Stitch each yo-yo onto the binding.
• Continue adding the strips/sides to finish.
16.5 X 16.5 inch chair scarf or table topper…